The evolution of modern application development standards has given rise to various new strategies, testing technologies, and integrations to improve the efficiency and quality of the test cases at the same time. On the other hand, the application developers can use cross browser testing to analyze the application stability when it is subjected to various changes in the form of device version, operating system, or other parameters. Using modern technologies, the testers can also detect and remove bugs as soon as they appear in the core infrastructure of the application. In the segment of automation testing, Selenium is one of the most popular names that has been present for over 10 years.
With this article, we are going to justify Selenium as the best test suit for executing automated cross-browser testing on modern apps. We will also analyze some of the major parameters that can help the developers improve the efficiency of their Selenium-based automation test cases.
Understanding the Requirements for Automation Testing
Modern apps consist of thousands of different elements that can take several months when tested manually. On the other hand, using automated testing, the developers can utilize predetermined test cases to run thousands of different test instances automatically. While implementing automation testing, app developers can also implement the necessary adjustments to ensure that the test cases are customized according to their requirements. While using automation testing, the system will use various data sets to emulate and replicate human interactions while communicating with the app undergoing the development project.
The proper integration of automation testing can boost modern app development projects in the following ways:
- Automation testing is highly efficient when the app developers integrate it with repetitive test cases like regression testing and unit testing. So, the testers can use this extra time to come up with new features that can be rolled out in a future application update.
- Since automation testing requires minimal human involvement, it is not only more accurate but also more efficient and can run 24 hours around the clock.
- While using automation testing, the application developers can also implement additional tools, frameworks, and plugins that are directed toward improving the quality of the application undergoing the development project.
- Automation testing also contributes towards maintaining the resource and time efficiency of the app development project. For instance, app companies can eliminate the requirements of setting up and maintaining a human testing team for development needs.
How Does Selenium Help in Modern Test Automation
By integrating the tools present under the Selenium test suite, the application testers can utilize the following benefits in the test environment:
- It is possible to initiate codeless automation testing by integrating the Selenium-integrated development environment. This tool analyzes user interactions and creates automated test cases based on these interactions in real time. So, the app developers simply have to use the app like a normal user to create the automation test cases.
- Now that the app developers have successfully created the automation test cases, they can start the execution process using the Selenium WebDriver. This tool analyzes the test parameters and test capabilities to run them on the target elements of the web. While using the Selenium WebDriver for the execution process, the developers can also run the test instances in the native environment of a browser without any dedicated test engine.
- Finally, Selenium also has a tool intended for improving the efficiency of the test cases. Using the Selenium Grid, the app developers can run multiple test instances at the same time by using parallel test execution. In this process, the test environment acts like a hub that connects with several nodes. In this case, each node represents the elements present in the application. As soon as the test environment receives a test code, it redirects it to the respective element for the execution process.
Reasons to Use Selenium for Cross-Browser Testing
Based on our research and understanding, we have created a list of some of the most important parameters that can justify the importance of integrating Selenium for executing cross-browser testing:
Execution of Cross-Browser Compatibility Testing
While using Selenium for executing cross-browser testing, the testers can run the test cases on multiple modern browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, and many others. With this process, the testers can ensure that the app’s functioning is consistent and correct across multiple user environments.
The Open-Source and Free App Architecture
Since Selenium is open-source and free, it is highly compelling for individual developers and small start-up companies who do not have enough revenue to invest in testing software. Moreover, it receives constant updates and is properly maintained to ensure that the free infrastructure does not affect its functionality.
Flexibility of Programming Languages
Independence of the Testing Platform
Selenium is a platform-independent test suite as it can run on Linux, Windows, and even on Mac OS. Using this feature, the application developers can unify the test cases irrespective of the operating system that they are currently working on. Moreover, the developers can use the Selenium test suit to perform compatibility testing on multiple operating systems at the same time.
Availability of Robust Testing Capabilities
While using Selenium, the application testers can access a series of robust testing capabilities that consist of filling out forms, interacting with web elements, and even handling popups. So, the developers can create complex test scenarios to thoroughly evaluate the behavior of their web app. These test cases can also evaluate the performance of the application when it is subjected to various unusual parameters or use cases.
Options for Integration with Frameworks and Tools
While using Selenium, app developers can integrate additional frameworks and tools to improve the efficiency and quality of the testing environment. For instance, the developers can integrate cloud platforms like LambdaTest to eliminate the requirement of a physical device lab. These platforms can run the test cases on thousands of real devices through remote servers. It is also possible to integrate automation testing frameworks like JUnit and TestNG. Using these tools, the app developers can organize the test cases with the continuous integration of CI pipelines.
Presence of a Large and Active Community
Selenium has a huge community of tech enthusiasts who are always working to improve the testing experience for newcomers. So, the new automation testers can always refer to this community whenever they are struck with any feature of LambdaTest. This community also provides various extensive documentation, forums, and tutorials. The Selenium community also develops various 3rd party plugins for improving the test efficiency. By referring to the Selenium community, the app developers can also remain up to date regarding all the best practices in the segment of automated cross-browser testing.
LambdaTest And How it Simplifies Cross-Browser Testing
LambdaTest is an AI-powered test orchestration and test execution platform that allows developers to initiate and execute Selenium-based automated cross-browser test cases on web apps. It also provides artificial intelligence to initiate and run the test cases on the real device testing cloud. Using LambdaTest, the app developers can combine reports from multiple test instances run on real devices, emulators, and simulators.
By integrating LambdaTest with modern Selenium cross-browser test cases, the app testers can implement the following benefits:
- Using real device testing, the selenium testers can run the test cases on not only thousands of modern devices but hundreds of legacy devices and older browser versions.
- It is also possible to integrate parallel test execution to initiate multiple test instances simultaneously and improve the efficiency of the testing environment several times.
- Since LambdaTest provides native support for the execution of automated cross-browser testing, the application developers can easily perform this process with this platform. We have mentioned a sample code that can allow the application developers to initiate the process using Selenium WebDriver:
- While working with Selenium, LambdaTest can initiate the test cases on more than 3000 real browser instances at the same time.
- After executing the test cases, LambdaTest will generate a detailed test report consisting of vital information like screenshots and videos that are captured during the test execution process. It also consists of a test activity log that will show the status of the current test instance. Using all this information, the application developers can easily navigate to the faulty element to perform the required debugging process.
- The official website of LambdaTest also provides vital documentation about all the features and methods available with this platform. The website explains this information in simple language and by using sample test cases. LambdaTest also comes with an elaborate support system that consists of over-the-phone support, live chat, and a mailing feature. So, the application developers can use any of these options whenever they are stuck with the testing process. To facilitate the discussion between the testers and developers, LambdaTest also has an online community.
The Conclusive Views
This article justifies the importance of using Selenium for executing automated cross-browser testing in a modern industry. It is also important for developers to adopt complete test automation as it will become one of the dominant trends in the future app development market. For this process, the developers can constantly update the information about all the recent trends and innovations in the test automation segment. It is also a wise decision to constantly survey the target audience and understand their requirements for the app. By implementing all these changes, the application developers can customize the application to serve a wider section of the audience.
Follow Technoroll for more!
Editorial Staff of the TechnoRoll, are a bunch of Tech Writers, who are writing on the trending topics related to technology news and gadgets reviews.